Monday, December 13, 2004

a birthday

In two days’ time I meet another young lad, Matt, who will most likely come to live with me. Since he has communication probs, and I do too sometimes, Anglicare’s facilitation will be an essential component here. The holiday period is fast coming to an end even though Christmas approaches.

It’s Sarah’s birthday – I’m still a day late. Will have to go over there in a minute to do some of the birthday things – breakfast and the like. And I’ve not yet bought her a gift. I did take her out to dinner last night, the whole hog, if they have hogs in Thailand (we were a couple of doors down from a Hog’s Breath Café). An expensive (by our standards) viognier, entrée and main course, and another drink for dessert. A major outlay, more or less entirely spontaneous. We shared the entrées of Thai fish cakes and tempura vegies, and I had coffee duck as my main course (in a roulade of minced shrimp and whatnot), while Sarah had a snow pea salad, with minced chicken and chilli. A late dinner, not too heavy, but not good for the tummy. I think Sarah found it all a bit steep, and perhaps lacking in something, it not being too busy considering the festive season. She wants to make the Royal Oak her dining out place henceforward, with the jazz and the comfy atmosphere and the shifting colourful clientele.

Definitely feeling more energised, it’s an energy breeds energy thing – the pedo has been great because I love to measure things, and to beat my own records. Have to transfer that to sit ups, and Pilates and the Carnegie abs stuff too. And another factor has been the weather. Despite global warming the past few days have been mild enough to make wandering about and shifting furniture and garden-pottering a breeze.

And speaking of wandering, it took me a full hour to find my car-park at the Arndale Shopping Centre after buying Sarah a CD (K D Lang) and a card (a 75th birthday card for her 57th – dyslexia rules KO? Yeah, weak I know). I also bought a philosophy mag. Special edition on religion and science, simply irresistible).

Sarah has given her daughter a relatively brief, deceptively light-toned note asking that she no longer sleep or shower in her house, that she no longer bring her friends there, and that she take Courtney out of the house when she visits, to give her (Sarah) some quiet time to refresh and to get her place in order. She’s done well, avoiding useless confrontation and recriminations, just making a set of requests which can’t really be quibbled over. It may not work entirely, but it should work partially, and small victories are really all that can be expected at this stage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here