Thursday, December 09, 2004

what kind of blog am i?

The summer rain makes a sweet evening music, the rainwater tank’s filling, so unexpectedly handy in these usually dry months, and the murk in the fishpond’s diluting. Now for a bit more cultivation and a few more plants, but all my current green focus is on Sarah’s garden, coming along nicely. I’ll be staying home again tonight, catching up with the blog, going against the after nine pm grain, but trying not to keep my bottom parked for too long. A bit ashamed to admit this, but the Rumsfeld doco inspired me in one odd area – he works standing up, his desk specially fashioned to suit this purpose. I want a desk like that, of the same expanse as what I’m sitting at now, but about 30 or 40 cms taller.

Having divested myself of the Tenancy Officer’s role (no I’m not going to talk about it, except that I really am still in the thick of tenancy stuff), I’d like to focus, inter alia, on getting this blog properly linked up to the blogging community. Currently, it’s nowhere. I worry, though, that this will mean exchanging my private reflections for public positioning. I’m not at all sure where I want to put myself in the mix of wistful-ironic domestic-style reflections and philosophical-political analysis and pronouncements, and this is captured by the fact that my two favourite blogs of the moment are John Quiggin’s very public, very political, ideas-based blog, with its stream of responses from the commentariat, and young Rhea’s brilliant, apolitical, idiosyncratic, personal stories blog. My own writing feels sometimes like an awkward amalgam of these two fields of interest Oh well, just best to forge on forging the same old character anew.

Spent some time reading the commentaries on Quiggin’s blogsite re the ongoing Keith Windschuttle furore, with much het-uppityness, grandstanding, incoherence and occasionally cogent reflection, and so much that it’d take a week to wade through it all. So much theoretical reflection with such a small basis at times – the best stuff actually quotes from statements made in the past, on the rationale of the White Australia Policy, for example, and leaves us to work it out for ourselves, though of course there’s always selectivity… Got to get ourselves back to the garden. What I want though is to learn how to link the way some of these guys do. Have to set some time aside.

Flat time. Think I need some help to pull myself out of the anti-social, self-indulgent trough. See, others ring people, they reach out and make contact, but I never do. Haven’t spoken to my mother for years now, and that’s too raw an issue to touch upon. Think about it with the festive season coming on. You know, I don’t think I’ve ever in my life rung up a friend and suggested, say, going to see a movie. Or perhaps not since my teen years, and possibly not even then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here