Saturday, January 08, 2005

touching on health and faith

The new year begins with health issues. My weight’s up, but I don’t know what it is precisely. It’ll have to be graphed. My walking’s good but insufficient to bring weight down. Butter of all kinds is banned, and gym and WEA classes need to be looked into. I’ve been told recently by a friend that I’ve never looked so fat and ain’t that what friends are for.

So this morning, 100 steps on the BWM (the Big Wanker Machine), and should try to do, say, 500 a day on there, but it’ll be impossible today to do anything much because I’ve been called into boring work, five hours sitting blearily at a counter, minding the store, for a miniscule pay that I don’t strictly need. I suppose it gets me out of the house but I’m screaming with frustration, this looked like a good day for starting to get stuck into that weird idea known as the ontological argument, along with doing some of my own and Sarah’s garden, getting sorely neglected, the weather’s great for it and Mat’s off visiting a friend all day. Space too to plan the future, my year, the gym and so forth.

Been a frustrating day, but some progress made. I’ve now got broadband, which will eventually make my life easier, but it’s been something of a hassle setting it up, and it has knocked me off journal-writing for yet another day, basically I’m now a week or more behind with my 500 words a day effort, and talking about measuring, I only managed about 125 steps on the BWM yesterday, though I did quite a bit of walking to keep the pedo levels up (caught the train into town and work, walked through the mall, kept active in the shop).

Before reflecting upon the ontological argument for the existence of god, I’ll look at what Malcolm Muggeridge says on God and religion in his collection of essays under the title Jesus Rediscovered. You might say it’s not like me to be stimulated by the explorations of faith of the religious, but stimulated isn’t the word, I’m perplexed and occasionally fascinated, and maybe even sometimes jealous of those of easy (or difficult) religious faith. I want to devote much of my blog to considering all the reasons for belief, not just the intellectual.

Need to measure or at least monitor another thing, daily food intake. Yesterday it was late breakfast, muesli with a good cupful of low-fat high calcium milk, and a generous scoop of fruit salad yoghurt. Lunch was a single sandwich, wholemeal, with nothing but maasdaam cheese and ‘lite’ butter (oops), and when I reached town, a big biscuit with my Hudson’s coffee. Dinner was a foccacia after work, with chicken, mayo, swiss cheese and greens. And no grazing between meals as far as I can recall. Regular intake of coffee and little white minty pills.

Reading yesterday: Paul Johnson’s short history of the Renaissance, The Big Ask by Shane Maloney, ‘Is There a God?’ by Malcolm Muggeridge, New Scientist, Dec 25 issue, and a page or two of the Adelaide Review (late Dec issue).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here