Tuesday, April 19, 2005

picked some olives

I do feel much better today, a little more determined for the time being. For the first time in several days I didn’t weigh myself, and I actually did some barbell work and sit ups, and intend to go latenightstrolling after these few words. Want to discard some things in my life to improve my focus. Much of the day was spent among friends at Peterhead, near Port Adelaide, harvesting olives from their large tree, some seven bucketfuls, and at least that again left on the tree, not yet ripe. Brought a bucketful home to have another go at curing. The last lot, two seasons ago, were semi-successful only. I left them hanging about too long before starting up the process. They tasted bland, and were too mushy. The colour wasn’t too appealing either, they looked like the fresh droppings of some mutant bunny.
It was a glorious day for bashing trees and bibbing sauvignon blanc. I took a H2 blocker before setting out, as my acid levels have been bothersome again. There was desultory talk of the fall of the USA and the rise of China, as well as much advice and wonder about troubled and troublesome teenage children. It amuses me the way I can talk about these things as if I’m a father.
Occasionally too the subject of elderly parents came up. Curmudgeonly lonely old salts. My mother wasn’t mentioned, but she was thought of, only a few days ago she was asked after, and how long has it been, two years? More? How could this be allowed to happen? Don’t leave it too late, I’m sorry to bring such a subject up but don’t leave it too late. I’ve thought of writing to her, I said. You could, you should, that’s your preferred mode of communication…
I know she doesn’t trust me, but I have to act as if that doesn’t matter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here