Wednesday, May 18, 2005

oh joy, oh delight

Undoubtedly the highlight of tonight’s SBS news was the speech (unfortunately, didn’t quite catch the beginning of it) given by George Galloway before a US senate hearing, investigating the claim, trumped up as far as Galloway is concerned, that he profited from Iraqi oil deals.
Well I’ve now listened to the lot of it here, and the initial part of it, the speech part, was quite delicious. You just want it to go on and on, with rambunctious, evidence-based strike after strike. I’m sure if I was up there, I would’ve lost it and descended into invective, but Galloway remained on theme and maintained the rage and contempt with dignity.
Theatrical, perhaps, but heartfelt surely, and if it causes more scrutiny, by more, previously indifferent, bloggers and such, of the oil-for-food scandal, well worth the effort. And hey don’t we all just love someone sticking it up this administration.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, I share your feeling; the SBS clip was wonderful. watching the weasally senator smirk at the camera afterwards was satisfying- he didn't realise how badly he looked. I wish my computer would play the whole speech.

5:04 am  
Blogger Stewart said...

One of the sad but typical things about this is that though the British and other media have given it plenty of coverage, it has hardly raised a ripple in the American print media, whose compliance with incumbent administrations never ceases to amaze me.

3:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here