Monday, November 08, 2004

the car, mostly

The repairmen, they’re still all men, are now waiting for a rocker arm. They’ve detected a broken rocker arm and are now waiting for the replacement to arrive before they put the welded cylinder head back on, a three hour job. I mentioned it to Fiona and Daniel, and there was mumbling about an extra three or four hundred dollars. Esther has kindly said Anglicare will help out financially, how much is a question. I’ll ring DP, the repair place, at the end of the working day to check on progress. Maybe not till tomorrow, and only then if I can afford it, which maybe I can’t. So what’s a rocker arm?

The valve-in-head engine has pushrods that extend upward from the cam followers to rocker arms mounted on the cylinder head that contact the valve stems and transmit the motion produced by the cam profile to the valves. Clearance (usually termed tappet clearance) must be maintained between the ends of the valve stems and the lifter mechanism to assure proper closing… Got it? That’s from EB online. For the rest I need to organise a free trial. Does this explain things? The first sentence is helpful. Still I’d need to know what cam followers are, and a cam profile. And a cam.

I have pics, but too hard to work out how to post them.

And the final news at the end of the day is that they can’t get a new rocker arm for my ancient machine so they’ve got their agents scouring the wrecker’s yards, with no luck so far. So car may not be available for days, and cylinder head can’t be replaced without rocker arm, they’ll call me…

The upshot of all this is that I won’t be going to Edwardstown tomorrow. Nat has proved quite amenable to this, and the move will now be dependent on when the car is ready and paid for. Esther has offered somewhere between $100 and $150 on behalf of Anglicare, and she has assured me that my rent is being paid, which I’ll have to check up on. With all that, I couldn’t hep but blow a bit of money on dinner at the BBC for the three of us, Sarah, Nat and myself – along with little Courtney, two-year-old star and refugee from her parents’ hideous bickering and dead lifestyle.

Fact is I enjoy dining out less and less and would rather spend the money on a flick or play, the thing is to make the effort to turn things around with Sarah, or to find someone else to play with.

Amongst many dramas this evening, our electricity was cut off. Still I managed to deal with AGL (I wrote up my lease at last, and faxed it to them), with DP mechanics, and with Centrelink, all in one day. As well as with Anglicare, twice. These are small breakthrough events, to be built upon.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here