Tuesday, November 09, 2004

domestic international linguistic whatnot

The AGL buggerup was partly my fault, the previous tenants didn’t properly finalise their account but neither did I properly open my own. As it stands I owe AGL a fair whack and I better start paying it as soon as the money seeps back into me. The Centrelink buggerup is based on their claim that I missed an interview date on October 22. First I’ve heard of such an interview. They’ve rescheduled it for November 19 or so. I’m hoping they send me some paperwork, but still I must ensure that this date doesn’t slip by. I’m assured that I’ll be back-paid to October 13. Meanwhile, heaps of stuff to get ready for the interview. It’s tough with the country on almost full employment (by modern slack standards). At the end of November, if all goes well, Nat will be in the hands of another carer, and I’ll be between jobs once more. Surely nothing more terrible can happen to my car, but even without that I’ll be in trouble, as I won’t have anything saved. Two thousand dollars is nothing, I’m quickly learning.

No rent money through from Anglicare directly, so I’m hoping to receive a cheque today, and if not I must contact Esther, who I need to talk to anyway about Nat.

The phonics versus whole of language approach is being debated with a high profile, as figures come out about alarming rates of literacy. Phonics, a more traditional approach, has apparently more scientific backing and the neglect of phonics teaching to teachers has resulted in kids, especially at the lower end of the learning spectrum, actually getting through their school lives without the basic skills.

Meanwhile the counter-insurgency operations are beginning in Fellujah, with no doubt all the neighbouring nations assuming this to be an American operation, smoothing the path toward cosy relations with a client state. But we all know we’re really fighting for democracy.

Isabelle made an entrance yesterday, in her flairs and white fluffy top, to visit ‘her’ kitten for the first time. I had to tell her the news in stages, that the kitten is permanently incapacitated, and probably won’t be able to live long. She took it well enough, as expected, but meanwhile Nat’s eyes were popping. Isabelle continued to charm, with her recollections of old Simpsons episodes. I could see his disappointment on discovering that she wasn’t staying for dinner. A relief to be worrying about others’ sexuality and not my own, and a sign of the times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here